CIGNA Study Confirms Savings in Consumer Driven Health Plans
According to a recent study by CIGNA, individuals enrolled in consumer-driven health plans (CDHP) can lower their costs. Their study advises that members compared to those customers in traditional PPO and HMO plans, those in a CDHP:
- Lowered their health risks: CDHP customers lowered their risk of developing or worsening a chronic condition. According to the study, when employers fully transitioned to offering only a CDHP option, individuals improved their health risk profile by 10 percent in the first year compared to customers in a traditional plan option.
- Reduced total medical costs: CDHP medical cost trend was 16 percent lower than traditional plans during the first year. Over five years, cumulative cost savings averaged $9,700 per employee enrolled in a CDHP compared to employees who remained in a traditional health plan. Cost reductions were achieved without employers shifting out-of-pocket health expenses to their employees.
- Received higher levels of care: CDHP customers had consistent or higher use of over 400 evidenced-based medical best practices (than their counterparts in traditional plans. CDHP customers also sought preventive care, such as annual office visits and mammograms, more frequently than customers enrolled in a traditional plan.
- Were more engaged in health improvement: Through proper plan design plan and the use of incentives, CDHP customers were more likely to have completed a health risk assessment and participated in their health coaching program than those enrolled in a traditional plan.
- Were more savvy consumers of health care: CDHP customers enrolled in their pharmacy management program were more likely to choose generic medications and had 14 percent lower pharmacy costs compared to those in a traditional plan. In addition, CDHP customers used the emergency room at a 13 percent lower rate than individuals enrolled in HMO and PPO plans.
- More likely to compare cost and quality: CDHP customers were twice as likely to use myCigna.com online cost and quality information to help them select a doctor or to review potential medical costs than customers enrolled in traditional plans.
“Each year the evidence increasingly shows that properly designed consumer-driven health plans can lower health risks, reduce medical costs and drive engagement,” said Cigna Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Alan Muney.
Please contact Gary Whiddon at Health Plans Online for more information on Consumer Directed Health Plans. He can be reached at (888) 474-6627 or email@example.com.
Warning: simplexml_load_file(http://gdata.youtube.com/feeds/api/videos?q=vQ0Y0RYmzdg&orderby=published&max-results=1&v=2): failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.0 410 Gone in /home/healthpl/public_html/blog/wp-content/plugins/subzane-youtube-recent-videos-widget/subzane_youtube_plugin.php on line 83
Warning: simplexml_load_file(): I/O warning : failed to load external entity "http://gdata.youtube.com/feeds/api/videos?q=vQ0Y0RYmzdg&orderby=published&max-results=1&v=2" in /home/healthpl/public_html/blog/wp-content/plugins/subzane-youtube-recent-videos-widget/subzane_youtube_plugin.php on line 83
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/healthpl/public_html/blog/wp-content/plugins/subzane-youtube-recent-videos-widget/subzane_youtube_plugin.php on line 87
No videos found